Qtractor An Audio/MIDI multi-track sequencer
What's Qtractor ?
Qtractor is an Audio/MIDI multi-track sequencer application written
in C++ with the Qt4 framework.
Target platform is Linux, where the Jack Audio Connection Kit
(JACK) for audio, and the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
(ALSA) for MIDI, are the main infrastructures to evolve as a fairly-featured Linux desktop audio
workstation GUI, specially dedicated to the personal home-studio.
Qtractor is free, open-source software, distributed under the terms of the
GNU General Public License (GPL)
version 2 or later.
Project page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtractor
Click on image to see more screenshots...
- Multi-track audio and MIDI sequencing and recording.
- Developed on pure Qt4
C++ application framework.
- Uses JACK for audio
and ALSA sequencer for MIDI
as multimedia infrastructures.
- Traditional multi-track tape recorder control paradigm.
- Audio file formats support: OGG (via libvorbis),
MP3 (via libmad, playback only),
WAV, FLAC, AIFF and many, many more (via libsndfile).
- Standard MIDI files support (format 0 and 1).
- Non-destructive, non-linear editing.
- Unlimited number of tracks per session/project.
- Unlimited number of overlapping clips per track.
- XML encoded session/project description files (SDI).
- Point-and-click, multi-select, drag-and-drop interaction
(drag, move, drop, cut, copy, paste, paste-repeat, delete, split, merge)
- Unlimited undo/redo.
- Built-in mixer and monitor controls.
- Built-in connection patchbay control and persistence (a-la QjackCtl).
- LADSPA, DSSI, native VSTi and LV2 plug-in support.
- Unlimited number of plug-ins per track or bus.
- Plug-in presets, programs and chunk/configurations support.
- Unlimited audio effect send/return inserts per track or bus.
- Audio/MIDI clip fade-in/out (linear, quadratic, cubic).
- Audio/MIDI clip gain/volume, normalize, export.
- Audio/MIDI track and plugin parameter automation (dynamic curves,
sample&hold, linear and spline modes).
- Audio clip time-stretching (WSOLA-like or via librubberband), pitch-shifting (via librubberband) and seamless sample-rate conversion (via libsamplerate).
- Audio/MIDI track export (mix-down, merge).
- Audio/MIDI metronome bar/beat clicks.
- Unlimited tempo/time-signature map.
- Unlimited location/bar markers.
- MIDI clip editor (matrix/piano roll).
- MIDI instrument definitions (a-la Cakewalk(tm) (*.ins));
SoundFont (*.sf2) and MIDI Names XML (*.midnam) files also supported.
- MIDI controller mapping/learn/assignment (mixer and plug-in parameters).
- MIDI system exclusive (SysEx) setups.
- JACK transport sync master/slave.
- JACK session support.
- NSM (Non session management) support.
- MMC control surface enabled.
- MIDI Song Position cueing support.
- Configurable keyboard shortcuts.
The software requirements for build and runtime are listed as follows:
Optional (opted-in at build time):
- libvorbis (enc, file), Ogg Vorbis audio compression
- libmad, High-quality MPEG audio decoder
- libsamplerate, The secret rabbit code, C library
for audio sample rate conversion
- librubberband, Rubber Band Audio Time Stretcher,
an audio time-stretching and pitch-shifting library
- liblo, Lightweight OSC implementation
(needed for DSSI GUI and/or NSM support)
- DSSI, An API for soft synth plugins with custom user interfaces
- VST SDK, Steinberg's Virtual Studio Technology
- LV2, Audio Plugin Standard, the extensible successor of LADSPA
- liblilv, Lightweight LV2 implementation stack
- NSM, Non Session Management
Qtractor's already in some kind of beta stage of development and hence fully functional.
Though, the bleeding-edge development source tree is readily available from the sourceforge's public
2014-11-24 - The Baryon Throne Beta
- Fixed some old loop-recording clip drawing glitches.
- Current assigned track/channel instrument definition
names for MIDI controllers, note keys, RPN and NRPN,
are now in effect on the MIDI clip editor drop-down
lists, whether available.
- Clip/Take/Range... input dialog values are now properly
sanitized as long to prevent invalid take/folding ranges.
- Audio capture/export file type default now set to "wav".
- Extending punch-in/out over loop-recording/takes modes.
- Make audio tracks monitoring always flow while playback
is rolling, independently of their mute/solo state.
- Fixed undo/redo conversion of audio clip offsets under
(automatic) time-stretching eg. due on tempo changes.
(ticket by Holger Marzen, thanks).
- Latch/momentary MIDI Controllers toggle mode introduced
(a request by AutoStatic aka. Jeremy Jongepier, thanks).
- JACK client/port pretty-name (metadata) support is being
seamlessly introduced. (EXPERIMENTAL)
- Audio frame/MIDI time drift correction is now an option on
View/Options.../MIDI/Playback/Enable MIDI queue time drift
- Transport auto-backward feature now honoring last position
playback was started.
- Introducing brand new application user preferences on
View/Options.../Display/Options/Custom style and color
themes (eg. "KXStudio", by Filipe Coelho aka. falkTX).
- Mixer widget gets automatic multi-row strip layout.
- Clip fade-in/out now follows time-stretch resizing, via
shift/ctrl+click and drag one of its edges.
- Fixed a typo causing FTBFS when VST plug-in support is
explicity disabled (./configure --disable-vst).
Previous and older pre-releases, including the change log,
are also available here.
You can browse all files available for download, including binary packages, at
Qtractor Files on SourceForge.net.
The installation procedure follows the standard for source distributions.
Once under the extracted source directory:
and optionally as root:
This procedure will end installing the following files:
Just launch prefix
/bin/qtractor and you're off (hopefully).
Note that the default installation path prefix is
Qtractor holds its settings and configuration state per user,
in a file located as
Normally, there's no need to edit this file, as it is recreated and
rewritten everytime qtractor is run.
Probably plenty still, Qtractor maybe considered on beta stage already.
Qtractor is open source free software. For bug reports, feature
requests, discussion forums, mailling lists, or any other matter related
to the development of this piece of software, please use the
Sourceforge project page.
You can also find timely and closer contact information on my
personal web site.
A newer Qtractor quick start guide and user manual
has been updated for version 0.5.x by Seth Kenlon & Klaatu.
The older user manual for version 0.3.0 and before,
have been co-authored by James Laco Hines and Stephen Doonan.
Qtractor logo/icon is an original work of Andy Fitzsimon, borrowed from
the public domain openclipart.org gallery.
A special mention should also go to the translators of Qtractor, of course:
- Pavel Fric (cs)
- Guido Scholz (de)
- Yann Colette (fr)
- Massimo Callegari (it)
- Takashi Sakamoto (ja)
- Esteban Viveros (pt)
- Alexandre Prokoudine (ru)
This project has also a freecode.com entry.
( formerly freshmeat.net )
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc at rncbc dot org